Random Observations: Post-Yolanda (Relief and Rescue Operations)
This is a bulleted post, so bear with me.
- After the typhoon, everybody became a Disaster Prevention and Mitigation expert. This renders the real experts unemployed.
- We held an American Journalist’s statements as the gospel truth.
- A former future first lady defended the government’s efforts (especially her partner) against the American Journalist. That was aimed to save the face of her partner, but social media ensured that the effect will backfire and burn her partner’s Malacanang chances to ashes, forever.
- Social Media netizens are in its most emotional phase about the typhoon, peaking with the issue between the American Journalist and the former future first lady.
- A local primetime newscast had its main newscaster at the center of the Typhoon ground zero, and a field reporter reporting at the same city, but I can deduce that they are just within near distance.
- Majority of the Social Media reactions came not from the areas very affected as these areas were cut off from the internet within hours from Zero Hour until now.
- Tanda, Sexy and Pogi are silent. Maybe you should not see them happy being away from the limelight because of the government blunders in relief efforts. They can’t be seen because of obvious reasons. Maybe we should not forget, 10 billion might have been enough for a very efficient relief.
- There are many government and private institutions providing relief, but they are just severely limited to packing and distributing. Maybe the bigger companies (ehem construction companies), consider to help in clearing major roads from debris in the next disaster like this as the major problem aside from the inefficient system, is logistical and transport problem. This would not be the last.
- The greatest wind speed provision in the National Structural Code of the Philippine (v2010) is 250 kph, Yolanda’s maximum wind reached 235 kph. 250 should have been a wide allowance from the strongest wind speed. Structural Engineers should improve our wind loading design which is based on an outdated ASCE 07 - 05.
That all, if you want to reblog, kindly ask premission first.